catholic answers and q?? Can the devil put thoughts in your mind?

Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1
Old Today, 1:26 pm
New Member
Join Date: November 11, 2014
Posts: 40
Religion: Catholic
Question Can the devil put thoughts in your mind?

I have been having a lot of bad luck lately. My marriage seems to be under attack these days. For the past 3 years, I have had a very rocky marriage. To make a long story short, I found out my husband went to strip clubs behind my back and most likely got lap dances as well. From what I have learned, these lap dances provided a lot of physical touching and contact.

Back to my original question. Does the devil have the ability to put fear in your mind? For example. I already know my husband went to 3 strip clubs behind my back. I have proof. I have proof that he got one lap dance. I am trying to forgive and move forward, but it has been very difficult for me. The fear of the unknown creates doubt. My husband denied, denied, denied about the 3 strip clubs until I had evidence. Now trust is broken.

I keep getting these thoughts in my mind. For example… If my husband lied about this what else has he lied about? What if he went to 20 strip clubs? What if he had 20 lap dances? He is probably still lying to me. Are these thoughts from the devil? Could the devil be putting these thoughts in my mind to try to make me file for divorce?

We fight all the time. I keep asking him if he has told me the entire truth. He insists he has. I have a feeling that he is still lying. I can’t tell if this feeling is from my gut, or that it is coming from fear.

I know the devil can tempt people to sin. Can the devil sabotage a marriage? Can the devil create obstacles to cause married couples to fight? Can the devil cause married couples to fight?

I am beginning to think that there is a dark element that is trying to break up my marriage by putting fear into my mind which stops me from forgiving my husband and moving forward.

What are your thoughts?

Reply With Quote
  #2
Old Today, 2:08 pm
Ilovejesus1234's Avatar
Junior Member
Join Date: September 18, 2014
Posts: 353
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can the devil put thoughts in your mind?

Well the doubts you’re feeling are just human about your husband you have a right to be suspicious. Anyway you guys should bring this up to a priest or a marriage counselor. God is basically right now testing the faithfulness of your marriage. In some ways it should be a blessing, other ways like this where your husband is falling into sin, not so much. Remember to read the bible and pray, don’t forget those two things, god knows you so much better than I do, he will tell you what to do next.

You will get through this, just turn to God.

Reply With Quote
  #3
Old Today, 2:29 pm
pianistclare's Avatar
Regular Member
Join Date: September 12, 2013
Posts: 11,291
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Can the devil put thoughts in your mind?

Didn’t this get covered pretty thoroughly in your last thread about it?
http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=932258

I think if you are still conflicted, getting him to go with you to counseling through the Church may help. If he refuses, I don’t know what else you can do.

Prayers for healing.

__________________

Music is the only art of heaven on earth…
and the only art of earth that we take to heaven.
Reply With Quote
  #4
Old Today, 2:37 pm
Forum Elder
Book Club Member
Join Date: March 18, 2009
Posts: 54,051
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can the devil put thoughts in your mind?

“Coming from the gut” and “coming from fear” are much the same thing, and neither have much necessary connection with spiritual activity.

As best as I understand, the spirits neither read nor “write into” our mind, but they can tweak our emotions and reactions in order to mess up our life or get us to sin or both.

I’d say see a priest, don’t worry too much about where your feelings come from.

ICXC NIKA

Reply With Quote
  #5
Old Today, 2:47 pm
boomerang's Avatar
Regular Member
Join Date: March 29, 2012
Posts: 1,088
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can the devil put thoughts in your mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearwater14 View Post

If my husband lied about this what else has he lied about? Are these thoughts from the devil? Could the devil be putting these thoughts in my mind to try to make me file for divorce?

We fight all the time.

Can the devil sabotage a marriage?

I am beginning to think that there is a dark element that is trying to break up my marriage

What are your thoughts?

There is a dark element at work here, and it’s your husband. Yes, the devil can influence people and the wicked ones thrive on chaos in a family, but your husband is the problem here. Don’t put all the blame on the devil because that’s a red herring taking your attention away from the true problem. Your instincts are normal. You don’t trust your husband because he has proven himself untrustworthy. Your husband needs to admit he has a problem with lying, for one thing. And going to strip clubs. He might be viewing porn also. You are both going to need counselling if your marriage is to survive.

Reply With Quote
  #6
Old Today, 2:51 pm
New Member
Join Date: October 10, 2014
Posts: 53
Religion: Baptist
Default Re: Can the devil put thoughts in your mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearwater14 View Post
I have been having a lot of bad luck lately. My marriage seems to be under attack these days. For the past 3 years, I have had a very rocky marriage. To make a long story short, I found out my husband went to strip clubs behind my back and most likely got lap dances as well. From what I have learned, these lap dances provided a lot of physical touching and contact.

Back to my original question. Does the devil have the ability to put fear in your mind? For example. I already know my husband went to 3 strip clubs behind my back. I have proof. I have proof that he got one lap dance. I am trying to forgive and move forward, but it has been very difficult for me. The fear of the unknown creates doubt. My husband denied, denied, denied about the 3 strip clubs until I had evidence. Now trust is broken.

I keep getting these thoughts in my mind. For example… If my husband lied about this what else has he lied about? What if he went to 20 strip clubs? What if he had 20 lap dances? He is probably still lying to me. Are these thoughts from the devil? Could the devil be putting these thoughts in my mind to try to make me file for divorce?

We fight all the time. I keep asking him if he has told me the entire truth. He insists he has. I have a feeling that he is still lying. I can’t tell if this feeling is from my gut, or that it is coming from fear.

I know the devil can tempt people to sin. Can the devil sabotage a marriage? Can the devil create obstacles to cause married couples to fight? Can the devil cause married couples to fight?

I am beginning to think that there is a dark element that is trying to break up my marriage by putting fear into my mind which stops me from forgiving my husband and moving forward.

What are your thoughts?

I don’t think it’s the devil putting thoughts into your head. I would be asking the same questions.

Pray and ask God to expose what he is really doing.
I know it must be difficult but try to rest in God once you have given this issue to Him in prayer. Leave your husband to God. He knows the best way to handle this.

Your husband has been tempted in the weakest area of a man’s life. Pray for him. Ask God to help him resist this temptation. To ask God for forgiveness.

I have had marriage problems that seemed impossible to overcome. But as our Pastor told us, with God nothing is impossible.

If you keep questioning and arguing, it will create a rift between you both that will get worse as you try to resolve this issue that way.

You need good, Godly or sensable counselling. I have been to counsellors who say, end it. Worse advise ever. This is where you both need to work through this issue. Divorce may seem the best course, but reconciliation will strengthen your marriage.

I have been seeing a great psychologist who was instrumental in salvaging our marriage. I don’t know where you live but I will give you his details.

Ben Jackson
Mobile 0410 144 634
Email: ben@nextdoorpsych.com.au

He is a Medicare provider.

Pray for your husband and speak to him with the love of Christ. Love covers a multitude of sins and will get better results than quarreling. What he has or may still be doing is not something you can tolerate forever but if you deal with this issue with wisdom and love, you have a better chance of recovering and strengthening your marriage.

I will keep you in my prayers.
Carmen


Last edited by carmenp1; Today at 3:06 pm.

Advertisements

How then does this support PURGATORY? Doesn’t mortal sin send people to hell?

#7  Karen Elliott – Waxahachie, TEXAS, Texas

Verses 3 and 5 make clear that this commandment is not simply condemning making statues; It is condemning making gods that you bow down to or serve. In a word, this first commandment forbids idolatry, i.e., the worship of anything or anyone other than God. The Catholic Church condemns this as well.
wor·ship (wûrshp)
n.
1.
a. The reverent love and devotion accorded a deity, an idol, or a sacred object.

b. The ceremonies, prayers, or other religious forms by which this love is expressed.

2. Ardent devotion; adoration.

3. often Worship Chiefly British Used as a form of address for magistrates, mayors, and certain other dignitaries: Your Worship.

v.wor·shiped or wor·shipped, wor·ship·ing or wor·ship·ping, wor·ships

v.tr.
1. To honor and love as a deity.

2. To regard with ardent or adoring esteem or devotion. See Synonyms at revere1.

v.intr.
1. To participate in religious rites of worship.

2. To perform an act of worship.
So tell me Catholics do not worship Saints or Mary and you just lied.

January 12, 2014 at 12:36 pm PST
#8  Karen Elliott – Waxahachie, TEXAS, Texas

January 12, 2014 at 4:03 pm PST
#9  Karen Elliott – Waxahachie, TEXAS, Texas

2 Maccabees 12:39 On the next day, as by that time it had become necessary, Judas and his men went to take up the bodies of the fallen and to bring them back to lie with their kinsmen in the sepulchres of their fathers. 40 Then under the tunic of every one of the dead they found sacred tokens of the idols of Jamnia, which the law forbids the Jews to wear. And it became clear to all that this was why these men had fallen. 41 So they all blessed the ways of the Lord, the righteous Judge, who reveals the things that are hidden; 42 and they turned to prayer, beseeching that the sin which had been committed might be wholly blotted out. And the noble Judas exhorted the people to keep themselves free from sin, for they had seen with their own eyes what had happened because of the sin of those who had fallen. 43 He also took up a collection, man by man, to the amount of two thousand drachmas of silver, and sent it to Jerusalem to provide for a sin offering. In doing this he acted very well and honorably, taking account of the resurrection. 44 For if he were not expecting that those who had fallen would rise again, it would have been superfluous and foolish to pray for the dead. 45 But if he was looking to the splendid reward that is laid up for those who fall asleep in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. Therefore he made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin.
Seems to me these men died in the mortal sin of idolitry…
How then does this support PURGATORY? Doesn’t mortal sin send people to hell?

January 13, 2014 at 6:17 am PST
#10  Tim Staples – El Cajon, California – Catholic Answers Blogger

Karen,
Most likely, keeping these little amulets under their cloaks was more akin to the superstition of a baseball player keeping a rabbit’s foot in his pocket than it would be to the mortal sin of idolatry. But even if these men did commit some that was grave matter, “[God] alone know the hearts of the children of men” (II Chr. 6:30). God alone knows the level of each man’s culpability, so God alone knows whether that level of culpability was actually mortal. Moreover, some of these could have repented before they died. However you slice it, we Catholics (and evidently the Jews as well) believe that we always pray for folks who have died no matter what the outward appearance may be because God’s grace can penetrate the darkness, no matter how dark it may be, and bring repentance where there needs to be repentance, and healing where healing is possible.

January 18, 2014 at 7:28 am PST
#11  Christopher Travis – Huntsville, Alabama

I am a bit confused as to what a Protestant believes is a “graven image.” Does this mean we as Catholics can not portray Christ in any pictures or statues? Is it false worship if we do? I would especially like to hear a brief answer from a Protestant minister or any Protestant who is familar with and may be able to answer this question.

March 2, 2014 at 5:49 am PST

working4christtwo– the singular truth and false commentary with PJM and more

Post navigation

1THOUGHT ON “HOW TO READ THE BIBLE {AND ACTUALLY GET WHAT IT TEACHES] BY PAT MIRON AND FRIENDS”

  1. The Three (delusional ) Infallible rules for RIGHT understanding of the bible–

    what I shared was NOT mere personal opinion;

    it’s what God wanted you to know.

    FEBRUARY 3, 2015 LEAVE A COMMENTEDIT

    Originally Posted by originallyasin View Post

    it is easy to “quote scripture” and be righteous like the Pharisees and sadjusties –

    The Three (delusional ) Infallible rules for RIGHT understanding of the bible–what I

    shared was NOT mere personal opinion; it’s what God wanted you to know.

    ]=House Harkonnen;12001878]There is only one church, the body of Christ.All

    believers are part of it.

    My particular denomination is an outward visible element of the church, as is yours

    and every denomination.

    REALLY, and you found that in the bible somwhere? The Catholic church existed for

    1,500 YEARS before Luther choose like you to leave the CC. And where in the bible

    does God even one time approve of COMPETING religions

    Heb 6: 4-7

    May I suggest you read Heb 6: 4-7 It weas written about 1,400 years before Luther

    and aimed at those who choose for whatever reason to leavve the ONLY Church; God

    and Faith that is God approved. This friend is not MY opinion, its what the Bible

    teaches. Amen.

    For it is impossible for those who were once illuminated, have tasted also the heavenly

    gift, [Christ Himself in Catholic Holy Communion] and were made partakers of the Holy

    Ghost, [Have chosen to be Confirmed into the Catholic Faith] Have moreover tasted

    the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, [Have BEEN Rightly

    instructed in the Faith] And are fallen away: to be renewed again to penance,

    crucifying again to themselves the Son of God, and making him a mockery.

    “IMPOSSIBLE” here means UNLESS one repents and converts. Friend you not only

    gave up Catholicism; you actually gave UP GOD!

    May He have mercy and guide to back to His singular truth.

    Patrick

    Not ONLY in “ggod faith” BUT Biblically grounded.

    Provide EVIDENCE my friend, of where I/m wrong here

    God Bless you, what I shared was NOT mere personal opinion; it’s what God wanted you to know.

    porterrobinson

    Sochi];12024204]Patrick, “friendly” is no cure for avoidance, especially as I have not

    changed the topic, but as usual, you decline to deal with it by using the strategy of

    avoiding the admission of any perspective other than the one you learned. It is difficult

    to carry on a rea sonable dialog with someone who won’t even admit consensus

    agreements on historical data. It’s in your court, Patrick.

    Truth my friend is, as it must be per defined issue, singular.

    What I share is God’s singular truth as is my duty.

    God Bless you,

    Patrick

    Should I go with PJM or John Paul II and Benedict XVI for authentic Catholic teachin ??
    #112
    Old May 25, ’14, 11:51 am

    Sochi Sochi is offline

    Banned

    Join Date: December 15, 2013
    Posts: 449
    Religion: Baptized Roman Catholic

    Default Re: Your thoughts please
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MacQ View Post

    Well, that’s one guy’s opinion, or way of putting it.

    I don’t like the notion either….and was glad to find that it isn’t church teaching…at

    least not put in such an arrogant fashion. It’s one thing to say that we think catholicism

    offers the fullness of faith…quite another to say we’re the ‘one true church’.

    In fact, the idea that used to be attributed to catholics that there was ‘no salvation for

    anyone else’ was what kept me from converting sooner, and would have kept me from

    converting altogether, had it persisted and been backed by the Church. Glad it got
    corrected at Vatican II.

    Well, just “one guy’s opinion?” I hardly think so. I could get a few football squads like

    him just in a few blocks around here. And whatever the Church teaches, which as far

    as I can tell is far less adamantine than the insistences of some on here, it is the

    attitude of many posters, other considerations, however sincere and valid, be damned.

    And as I have pointed out, many of the arguments presented by some Catholics on

    here I wouldn’t have dared to use at the height of my fervor for the Church, because

    they are counterproductive, off-putting, and in a few cases, just not so or definitely

    faulty. I feel for those people and for the Church they, in my opinion, misrepresent, as

    if infallibility wasn’t just for the Pope under special circumstances.

    About these ads
    Occasionally, some of your visitors may see an advertisement here.

    Tell me more | Dismiss this message
    Share this:
    Press ThisTwitterFacebookGoogle

    Related

    stupid is forever in the church

    working4christtwo– which Church hold the truth ? and has the Holy Spirit

    working4christtwo Question: “How do we atone for sins?”

    EDIT
    Post navigation← WORKING4CHRISTTWO – DUMMIES -THE BLESSED VIRGIN

    MARY IS SINLESS (THE HOLY SPIRIT ALSO TEACHES THAT). AND “ALL” HAVE

    INDEED SINNED AND FALL SHORT OF THE GLORY OF GOD, AS SCRIPTURE

    SAYS.

The Three (delusional ) Infallible rules for RIGHT understanding of the bible–what I shared was NOT mere personal opinion; it’s what God wanted you to know.

Originally Posted by originallyasin View Post
it is easy to “quote scripture” and be righteous like the Pharisees and sadjusties –

The Three (delusional ) Infallible rules for RIGHT understanding of the bible–what I shared was NOT mere personal opinion; it’s what God wanted you to know.

]=House Harkonnen;12001878]There is only one church, the body of Christ.All believers are part of it.

My particular denomination is an outward visible element of the church, as is yours and every denomination.

REALLY, and you found that in the bible somwhere? The Catholic church existed for 1,500 YEARS before Luther choose like you to leave the CC. And where in the bible does God even one time approve of COMPETING religions

Heb 6: 4-7
May I suggest you read Heb 6: 4-7 It weas written about 1,400 years before Luther and aimed at those who choose for whatever reason to leavve the ONLY Church; God and Faith that is God approved. This friend is not MY opinion, its what the Bible teaches. Amen.

For it is impossible for those who were once illuminated, have tasted also the heavenly gift, [Christ Himself in Catholic Holy Communion] and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, [Have chosen to be Confirmed into the Catholic Faith] Have moreover tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, [Have BEEN Rightly instructed in the Faith] And are fallen away: to be renewed again to penance, crucifying again to themselves the Son of God, and making him a mockery.

“IMPOSSIBLE” here means UNLESS one repents and converts. Friend you not only gave up Catholicism; you actually gave UP GOD!

May He have mercy and guide to back to His singular truth.

Patrick

Not ONLY in “ggod faith” BUT Biblically grounded.

Provide EVIDENCE my friend, of where I/m wrong here

God Bless you, what I shared was NOT mere personal opinion; it’s what God wanted you to know.

porterrobinson
Sochi];12024204]Patrick, “friendly” is no cure for avoidance, especially as I have not changed the topic, but as usual, you decline to deal with it by using the strategy of avoiding the admission of any perspective other than the one you learned. It is difficult to carry on a rea sonable dialog with someone who won’t even admit consensus agreements on historical data. It’s in your court, Patrick.

Truth my friend is, as it must be per defined issue, singular.

What I share is God’s singular truth as is my duty.

God Bless you,
Patrick

Should I go with PJM or John Paul II and Benedict XVI for authentic Catholic teachin ??

  #112
Old May 25, ’14, 11:51 am
Banned
Join Date: December 15, 2013
Posts: 449
Religion: Baptized Roman Catholic
Default Re: Your thoughts please

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQ View Post
Well, that’s one guy’s opinion, or way of putting it.
I don’t like the notion either….and was glad to find that it isn’t church teaching…at least not put in such an arrogant fashion. It’s one thing to say that we think catholicism offers the fullness of faith…quite another to say we’re the ‘one true church’.
In fact, the idea that used to be attributed to catholics that there was ‘no salvation for anyone else’ was what kept me from converting sooner, and would have kept me from converting altogether, had it persisted and been backed by the Church. Glad it got corrected at Vatican II.

Well, just “one guy’s opinion?” I hardly think so. I could get a few football squads like him just in a few blocks around here. And whatever the Church teaches, which as far as I can tell is far less adamantine than the insistences of some on here, it is the attitude of many posters, other considerations, however sincere and valid, be damned. And as I have pointed out, many of the arguments presented by some Catholics on here I wouldn’t have dared to use at the height of my fervor for the Church, because they are counterproductive, off-putting, and in a few cases, just not so or definitely faulty. I feel for those people and for the Church they, in my opinion, misrepresent, as if infallibility wasn’t just for the Pope under special circumstances.